A few days back while I was watching a movie, the natural beauty shown through the movie caught my attention. On more inspection, I found out that the place where the movie had been shot was none other than the beautiful Ooty.
Ooty Lake (Photo – Swaminathan)
Ooty or Udhagamandalam is a hill station in the southern region of India. A large number of domestic and international tourists visit Ooty all year round. Bangalore has the nearest airport and taxi from Bangalore to Ooty is the best way to reach here. The climate of Ooty is mild all through the year, making it possible for tourists to visit the hill station any time of the year. Ooty is located in the heart of the Nilgiri Hills in the Western Ghats. Ooty is known as the Queen of Hills because of its eternal and natural beauty. Ooty is one of the most serene hill stations that one can visit to enjoy the natural beauty and relax.
Ooty was originally inhabited by the tribal people of the Toda tribe; most of us have not heard of it. Ooty later came under the control of the East India Company. It was then that Ooty was transformed into the beautiful town that it is today. The British built the Nilgiri Mountain Railway in 1908 to make it easy to travel to Ooty. On road it is best reachable from Mysore through Mysore to Ooty Taxi services.
There are several places of tourist attraction in Ooty. With its beautiful natural surroundings, Ooty attracts a large number of tourists all the year round. Some places of tourist interest in and around Ooty are:
- The Government Rose Garden is the largest rose garden in India. It is situated on the slopes of the Elk Hill. The garden is home to 20,000 varieties of roses.
- Ooty Botanical Gardens span an area of 22 acres and were laid down in 1847. The lush Botanical Gardens are home to thousands of varieties of herbs, shrubs, trees, ferns, plants, exotic, herbs and bonsai plants.
- Ooty Lake covers an area of 65 acres. The lake in set amidst groves of eucalyptus trees with a railway line running along one bank. A boat house has been established on the banks of the lake that offers boating to the tourists.
- Doddabetta Peak is the highest peak in the Nilgiris. the peak lies between the junction of the Eastern and the Western Ghats and offers a beautiful view of the Nilgiris.
- Wax World, Ooty is housed in a 142 year old bungalow. It is a museum that houses life size wax statues of famous personalities from Indian history, culture and heritage.
- Deer Park is located beside the Ooty lake. This is one of the highest altitude zoos in India and houses many species of deer and other endangered animals.
Tourists can enjoy many adventure sports. Hang gliding can be enjoyed by tourists at Kalhatty. In addition, activities like hiking, trekking, mountain biking etc. can be enjoyed by the tourists here.
With its beautiful hills, flora, fauna and tea plantations, Ooty is a hill station that leaves one mesmerized. It offers a perfect ambience for a relaxed holiday.